In Episode #111, Ari shares the Less Doing podcast with [Ariel Garten](http://www.choosemuse.com/the-people-behind-muse/) the CEO of InteraXon, and designer of [MUSE™](http://www.choosemuse.com/) _the brain sensing headband_. Ari takes this opportunity to ask Ariel about the history and technology behind MUSE™, as well as the science the human brain. ** **
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 18:29 – Introduction of Ariel Garten of InteraXon
– 18:50 – Ariel explains the MUSE™ headband
– 19:15 – How Ariel started this project and how the brain became a topic of interest
– 19:50 – The first generation of the MUSE™
– 20:50 – The MUSE™ tracks a whole range of specific brainwaves from ½ hertz up to 100 hertz including Delta, Theta, Alpha, Beta and Gamma
– 21:25 – The different wavelengths are associated with different things, which Ariel defines
– 21:38 – Gamma
– 22:10 – Beta
– 22:38 – Alpha
– 23:17 – Delta
– 23:21 – Theta
– 23:30 – Why focus on helping people improve their calm and focus as opposed to other behaviors?
– 26:00 – Ariel defines what she does, on a personal level, to improve her focused attention
– 29:00 – Using MUSE™ has really helped Ari discover which cues break his calm and focus
– 31:20 – The future for MUSE™ both the app and physical device
– 31:30 – The evolution of the MUSE™ Calm app
– 32:20 – InteraXon will _not _be developing an _active _version of MUSE™
– 33:08 – Heart Rate Variability and [EEG](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroencephalography), how do they relate?
– 34:45 – At this time, HRV and EEG can be correlated but we cannot determine which is causal
– 35:00 – Ariel’s _Top 3 Tips for Being More Effective:_
– 35:17 – Learn to manage the voices in your head
– 36:37 – Don’t listen to the voice in your head
– 36:41 – You do not need the voice in your head
– 37:24 – ChooseMuse.com or Amazon.com ** **
**7 Key Points:**
- There are five waves commonly observed in the brain: Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma and Theta.
- These waves can be measured at anywhere from ½ Hz up to 100 Hz
- MUSE™ matches form with function, an attractive accessory designed to accurately measure EEG.
- Due to the sensitivity of what’s being measured, the MUSE™ must be used in a calm, inactive environment.
- HRV and EEG are correlated, but there is no causal relationship at this time.
- _Everyone_ has a “voice” in their head; managing that voice is key to becoming effective.
- Remember the “voice” in your head is more like a demon…the truth is you do not need it. ** **
– [Let’s Talk When You’re Free](http://chrisguillebeau.com/re-lets-talk-when-youre-free/) – An Article by Chris Guillebeau discussing the misnomer of “free-time”
– [PriceJump](http://www.savings.com/pricejump#less+doing+more+living) – A website that will show you a comparison of prices across online stores _and_brick & mortar stores
– [Gigster](http://www.trygigster.com/) – Pre-vetted, high-quality developer outsourcing
– [Vyte.in](https://www.vyte.in/?utm_content=buffer7b270&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) – This a personal assistant, meeting scheduling service
– [GigSky](https://www.gigsky.com/en/) – An international mobile data service designed to let people access data on the go at local rates
– [Is College Worth the Cost?](http://us.cnn.com/2014/11/19/opinion/ivory-tower-andrew-rossi-higher-education-cost/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter) – An article by Andrew Rossi discussing the prevalence of the student-loan/debt problem ** **
**Reviews, Comments and Questions:**
– 1:50 – iTunes Review from _DefeatTheDrama_ – “This podcast is filled with great guests and valuable information. Chalk-full — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message