**Summary:** In Episode
#178 Ari – joined by special guest hosts [Holly Hanson](https://twitter.com/hollyous) of the Less Doing Mastermind Group – interviews Bonnie Low Kramen of [Be the Ultimate Assistant](http://www.bonnielowkramen.com/). During the interview, Bonnie defines what makes a _great _assistant, and explains how she’s remained exclusive assistant to one of Hollywood’s biggest names for more than 25 years.
##[Rockefeller Roundtable](http://helmsociety.com/ari-meisel-ceo-roundtable-nc/) Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid [Helm Society](http://helmsociety.com/) listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.
##[Freeing Finland](http://www.biohackersummit.com) Come watch Ari and a collection of other well-renowned biohackers free the people of Finland from their bodily limitations at the 2015 Biohacker Summit being held in Helsinki, Finland from September 23rd through September 24th. Those interested in attending can [buy tickets here](http://biohackersummit.com/#pl_areauf9k2sm).
##[Leave Us a Review!](https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ari-meisel-less-doing/id605938952?mt=2&uo=6) Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 13:18 – Introduction of [Bonnie Low Kramen](http://www.bonnielowkramen.com/)
– 13:53 – How Bonnie became an assistant
– 15:53 – Being a great assistant is all about customized, personalized needs-based service
– 16:55 – Every assistant wants more 1-on-1 time with their managers—the great ones make due without it
– 18:00 – It’s important to know how things work _manually_, if you don’t your life is impaired by the quality and availability of your digital devices
– 19:30 – A job description is _never _set in stone
– 19:50 – Want a successful working relationship – especially with your assistant?—remove the barriers, break down the walls
– 22:25 – What executives really want from their assistants is delegation
– 22:45 – Your work as an assistant should enable your employer to do only the things they’re capable of doing
– 24:54 – Get over the fear that mistakes may happen because – guess what? – they’re going to happen anyway
– 26:45 – The old paradigm of “managers on high” is dead
– 27:20 – Assistants often see things the executives miss
– 29:10 – Executives who empower their staff to speak their mind will do themselves a HUGE favor
– 30:10 – The strangest requests Bonnie has fulfilled
– 37:10 – Find your “service heart”
– 37:40 – If you don’t like the person you’re spending time with – personally or professionally – END THE RELATIONSHIP, life is too short to do otherwise
– 39:10 – Don’t put up barriers for people who want to stretch and grow
– 39:50 – Bonnie’s _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective_
– 40:05 – Make great lists—be supremely organized
– 40:35 – Schedule downtime
– 41:19 – Keep it personal—take the time to talk on the phone, etc.
**7 Key Points:**
1. Don’t feel limited b your studies or degree—know what you love and find a way to incorporate it into your career.
2. The secret to being a great assistant?—Know how to conduct administrative triage.
3. Trust is invaluable in a strategic business partnership.
4. Understand that if you want to be successful, your job description is _never set in stone._
5. Get over the fear that mistakes may happen if you delegate to your assistant—the mistakes are going to happen no matter what.
6. You don’t need public acknowledgment to feel happy, learn to internally relish in your own success.
7. If you don’t like the people you’re with, leave them—life is too short to do otherwise.
– [Waking Up is Hard to Do](https://medium.com/matter/waking-up-is-hard-to-do-c720dc9617a8) – An article from Medium on becoming a morning person
— Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message