In Episode #198 Ari interviews [Brian Scudamore](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Scudamore), a Canadian/American-born serial entrepreneur, best known as the Founder and CEO of international junk removal franchise [1-800-GOT-JUNK?](https://request.1800gotjunk.com/webclient/forms/wfBook10.aspx?r=na_en&c=us&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5fz4ixgHud20HykeOPHAm9s_EbIE1XsNkj1FP7Yqr00QaAqJI8P8HAQ)
Listen as Ari and Brian discuss the three fundamental practices for a strong business.
## [Leave Us a Review!](https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ari-meisel-less-doing/id605938952?mt=2&uo=6) Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 02:47 – Daily meditation podcast episode 318.
– 19:31 – Brian Scudamore joins the show.
– 20:06 – 1-800-GOT-JUNK started when Brian was looking for a way to pay for college.
– 21:24 – Brian’s always been inspired by franchising as a model and knew early on that it would be a path he chose for his company.
– 3:03 – When Brian was first starting out, what set him apart from other junk haulers was customer service; he went above and beyond.
– 23:42 – He eventually had a vision that he wanted to create a FedEx of junk removal with clean trucks, friendly uniformed drivers, and upfront rates.
– 24:14 – “The way you do anything is the way you do everything.”
– 26:00 – 61.3% of the things 1-800-GOT-JUNK hauls away gets reused, recycled, or donated.
– 26:46 – Brian describes some of the strange things 1-800-GOT-JUNK has found or hauled away.
– 28:09 – The company outsources the recycling and reusing of what they haul away. They focus on what they do well already.
– 28:32 – Brian talks about his two-in-the-box model of leadership.
– 29:46 – Brian’s role is to look for new opportunities and maintain the vision of the company’s customer experience. His role is culture, his co-leader is execution.
– 30:23 – The company has about 300 employees between two offices.
– 31:02 – Brian attributes his company’s growth through strong leadership.
– 33:15 – Brian’s _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective_
– 33:24 – Have a strong vision or a ‘painted picture’ so you know where you’re going.
– 34:38 – Make sure you have good people in the right positions working for you—compensate for your weaknesses by hiring people with the right strengths.
– 35:02 – Have documented processes in your business on how to do certain things such _as how to price jobs_ or _how to answer phone calls_ in the call center.
– 36:08 – Brian discusses an example of how a system has been implemented in his moving business.
– 37:27 – Brian’s employees are trained through a combination of methods.
– 38:35 – [O2Ebrands.com](http://www.o2ebrands.com/) 4
1. If you don’t have a highly unique product, use unbeatable customer service to help you establish leverage over your competition.
2. Seek out new opportunities that are already in-line with your existing business vision.
3. Ensure you have the right people working for you – compensate for weaknesses by hiring people with strengths in areas that aren’t your forte.
4. It’s important to know your destination and how to get there. Have a strong vision for your goals.
– Brian Scudamore’s junk removal company. – Call 1-844-i-do-less – Toll-Free number, Press “0” to speak with a Less Doing Certified Coach – Text DOLESS
– Text DOLESS to 33733
– Audio Engineering provided by [Chris Mottram](https://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-mottram/96/b12/708)
– Original Music provided by [Felix Bird](http://2014.felixbird.com/ — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message