# Episode 211
In Episode #211 Ari welcomes Catherine Lavery, co-creator of the [SELF journal](http://bestself.co/) – a mindfulness and planning journal with tens of thousands of backers – to the podcast.
Listen as Ari and Catherine talk about goal-setting that works, managing to-do lists and how to achieve the things you want to.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 17:15 – Welcoming Catherine to the show
– 17:30 – The Self Journal – a 13-week goal planner
– 18:20 – A means of breaking down a goal into steps and tracking performance
– 19:00 – Focus on one thing at a time
– 19:40 – Catherine’s own goal-setting
– 20:20 – Taking a huge goal and breaking it down into daily tasks
– 21:50 – How do you choose the right goal for that framework?
– 22:30 – Find an emotional connection to your goal – how will it affect your life?
– 23:30 – The journal: write your goal every day and set targets
– 24:00 – Writing wins at the end of a day
– 24:40 – At the end of the week, reflecting on the goal and progress
– 25:20 – Catherine’s journal page for today
– 27:30 – The importance of checking in, morning and evening
– 28:36 – What’s next? An app?
– 29:00 – Developing products to complement the journal
– 29:50– _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:_
– Ask yourself how each ‘to-do’ relates to getting where you want to be
– Know what’s draining for you and what’s energising
– Look at what you’ve achieved – [bestself.co](http://www.bestself.co)
– Work on one goal at a time, and constantly check in with how you’re getting there
– Understand why you want to achieve your goal. What difference will it make in your life? If you don’t have an emotional connection it’s easy to give up.
– Look at what you’ve achieved as well as what’s left to do.
– Goals become achievable when you break them into daily tasks.
– Mindfulness article from Barking up the Wrong Tree – [People making a living from content sharing](http://thehustle.co/meet-the-people-making-a-full-time-living-from-instagram-kickstarter-and-teespring) – [Trim](http://www.asktrim.com/?ref=producthunt)
– A bot for everything, controlled via text
– Earth Class Mail helps you move your snail mail to the cloud.
– Original Music provided by [Felix Bird](http://2014.felixbird.com/)
– Audio Production by [Chris Mottram](https://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-mottram/96/b12/708)
– Show Notes provided by [Mallard Creatives](http://www.mallardcreatives.com/Testimonials) ——- [Get the FREE Optimize, Automate, Outsource Blueprint here.](https://go.lessdoing.com/blueprint?utm_campaign=blueprint-ari&utm_medium=link&utm_source=podcast) — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message