In Episode #216 Ari interviews [Dr Daniel Amen](http://www.amenclinics.com/): the man who’s scanned more brains than anyone else in the world. Daniel’s a psychiatrist with a background in medical imaging who believes that the health of your brain is physical, social, and spiritual as well as mental.
He’s the author of [The 7 Types of ADD](http://www.additudemag.com/slideshow/61/slide-1.html), and [Change Your Brain, Change Your Life](http://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Brain-Life-Obsessiveness/dp/0812929985).
Tune in to learn more about Daniel’s work, and find out how to make your brain function better.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
– 15:22 – Welcoming Daniel to the show
– 15:43 – Daniel was an infantry medic in Vietnam and retrained as an x-ray technician
– 16:16 – Was inspired by the potential of psychiatry to change people’s lives
– 17:20 – Has developed a database of 120,000 brain scans
– 17:27 – “You’re not stuck with the brain you have…you can make it better”
– 19:00 – How large a part of Daniel’s process is the Spec Scan?
– 20:20 – Health is physical, mental, social and spiritual
– 21:20 – Psychiatry needs to look at damage to the brain as a physical organ
– 22:20 – “I originally trained as a marital therapist”
– 23:30 – Daniel scanned the brains of his most troubled couple: “It helped so much”
– 24:30 – Many problems have physical causes – for instance, toxoplasmosis
– 25:30 – “We should be analysing and rehabilitating criminals…let’s invest in making people effective”
– 26:26 – Daniel started looking at ADD when he was a child psychiatrist
– 27:30 – “All psychiatric illnesses are not single or simple disorders” – like physical symptoms, they have multiple causes and need different treatments
– 30:20 – “Everybody’s ADD is different”
– 30:45 – “I don’t like fighting with people…my colleagues hate what I’m doing and it used to really trouble me.”
– 32:00 – What’s Daniel’s treatment methodology?
– 33:20 – Treatments range from nutrition supplements, to education, to medication
– 35:58 – How much of Daniel’s work is corrective and how much is optimisation?
– 37:05 – Daniel and his wife are starting a new course: “The Brain Warrior’s Way”
– 39:09 – “We’d love to see entrepreneurs get really serious about the health of their brains”
– 30:20– _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:_
– Improve the quality of your decisions
– Never let yourself get hungry
– Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep every night
– Visit the [Amen Clinics](http://www.amenclinics.com/) website for more information
– When your brain is healthy, you are healthy
– Health is simultaneously physical, social, mental, and spiritual: ‘mental illness’ can have physical or social causes
– You can make your brain function better by making the right decisions: fight to keep it healthy with good nutrition, sleep, and stimulation
– Psychiatric illness, like physical illness, is complicated: different treatments work for different people Resources Mentioned:
– [Tab Snooze](http://www.tabsnooze.com/)
– Make open tabs go away until you need them
– [Get See Note](https://www.getseenote.com/?ref=producthunt)
– The Post-It note, upgraded with e-Ink – [Ummo](http://ummoapp.com/?ref=producthunt)
– Track and improve your public speaking – [The world’s first co-working space](https://hbr.org/2016/04/the-innovative-coworking-spaces-of-15th-century-italy?utm_source=nextdraft) – [Smooch](https://smooch.io)
– Automate responses and customer support – [Front App](https://frontapp.com)
– Aggregate all your messages to one collaborative inbox Sponsored By: [EarthClassMail](https://www.earthclassmail.com/)
– Earth Class Mail helps you move your snail mail to the cloud. Visit [www.LessDoing.com/postal](http://www.lessdoing.com/postal) to get signed up now! Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter Credits
– Original Music provided by [Felix Bird](http://2014.felixbird.com/)
– Audio Production by [Chris Mo — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message