# Episode 59
**Summary:** In Episode #59 Ari shares his time with microbiologist Glenn Taylor of the [Taymount Clinic](http://taymount.com/about-us-fmt/), a medical facility in the UK dedicated to the improvement of digestive health. During their conversation, Ari and Glenn define what makes for an effective fecal microbiota transplant, as well as outline the oft overlooked impact of the digestive system on physical and emotional health. **Sponsored By:** [Zazzle ](http://www.zazzle.com/)– The best online source for the creation of customized merchandise.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 21:26 – Introduction of Glenn Taylor
– 21:51 – Glenn explains how he become an expert in fecal microbiota transplants (FMT)
– 22:44 – Probiotics are poor at colonizing
– 24:30 – There is huge demand for clinical-grade microbiota implantations
– 25:12 – The process of defining what could be treated with FMT
– 27:38 – By changing gut flora you can readily and easily relive a number of simple maladies
– 29:55 – Many patients wait too long to improve their digestive health, reaching a point where they need a complete[Colectomy](http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/colectomy/basics/definition/prc-20013604)
– 30:20 – The colon is not a _primary _organ of the digestive system
– 30:57 – Glenn’s theory about the colon as a function of the immune system
– 31:57 – FMT can change the health of the digestive system fairly quickly
– 32:30 – The _process _of the FTM clearly defined
– 33:15 – Donors are selected by lifestyle, a healthy diet and low-exposure to antibiotics
– 38:25 – How the implant is inserted into the patient
– 40:40 – Glenn uses a pediatric rectal catheter to place FMT implants into the descending colon
– 40:50 – The descending colon is located just inside the left hip bone
– 43:45 – Lifestyle and dietary improvement advice is given to patients following transplantation
– 44:00 – _Never _underestimate the impact stress can have on health
– 44:44 – “If you carry on doing what you’ve always done, you’re going to carry on getting what you’ve always [gotten]”
– 47:35 – What are the side-effects of FMT?
– 49:47 – Teymount.com
**7 Key Points:**
- Probiotics, though effective at improving digestion in a clinical environment, are poor at colonizing within the digestive system.
- Changing gut flora is an effective method of treatment for a number of maladies.
- The colon is not a _primary_ organ of the digestive system
- Fecal microbiota transplants can improve health fairly quickly.
- FTM donors are masters of healthy living.
- Never underestimate the impact stress can have on the body.
- “If you carry on doing what you’ve always done, you’re going to carry on getting what you’ve always [gotten]”
– [IFTTT](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fifttt.com%2F) – A service to help people be more effective on the web
– [Square](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fsquareup.com%2Fglobal%2Fen%2Fregister) – Credit card processing made easy
– [Appier](http://www.appier.com/en/index.html) – Used to help advertisers improve the ROI of their campaigns
– [Zazzle](http://www.zazzle.com/) – Website that lets users customize all kinds of things from T-shirts to coffee mugs, etc.
– [Fiverr](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiverr.com%2F) – An online marketplace for creative professionals.
– [ScreenCastify](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.screencastify.com%2F) – A Google app for screen recording – [HeartBleed](http://heartbleed.com/) – A widely publicized bug in online secu — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message