In Episode #113 Ari sits down with author and brand storyteller [Mathew Turner](http://turndog.co/story/) to discuss how mistakes, when used properly, become launch-pads for success. During their chat, Matthew shares some of his most important mistakes, the associated lessons learned and the origins of _[The Successful Mistake](http://turndog.co/successful-mistake/)_.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 17:34 – Introduction of Mathew Turner of _[Turndog](http://turndog.co/)_
– 18:13 – What it means to Matthew to be a storyteller
– 18:50 – Though he’s an author, Matthew’s background is in marketing
– 20:15 – Sharing the stories about a company’s people, ideals or heritage makes for effective marketing
– 20:48 – Defining the origins of _The Successful Mistake_
– 22:29 – It’s only a mistake if you refuse to acknowledge that it **_is_** one and fail to learn from it
– 23:20 – Matthew shares one of his bigger entrepreneurial mistakes
– 26:00 – Make sure you’re connected (aka “on the same page”) with your clients
– 27:30 – Avoid working with a client until you’ve put a process for doing business in place
– 28:43 – Communicating your needs and expectations effectively in a business partnership is hugely important
– 30:37 – Matthew defines his storytelling methodology
– 31:45 – In order to tell a brilliant brand story, you have to unearth the history of the people_behind_ the product or cause
– 32:49 – Matthew tends to work with manufacturers and builders more than any other type of client
– 34:13 – The future of _Turndog_…what’s next?
– 36:15 – Matthew’s Top 3 Tips to Be More Effective:
– 36:40 – Don’t overlook the value of _meeting people_…reach out and involve yourself in the lives of others
– 37:19 – It’s not about _quantity_, it’s about _quality_
– 38:04 – Always take a step back and ask yourself: “_Am I asking too much?_” and “_What can I give back?_”
– 39:31 – [Turndog.co](http://turndog.co/) ** **
**7 Key Points:**
- Telling an effective story about the people behind the product makes for effective marketing.
- If you can acknowledge it and learn from it then it’s not a mistake…it’s a lesson.
- Establish a process for doing business before actually _doing_ it.
- Learn to communicate your needs _and _wants clearly and effectively
- Success in life is intertwined with your willingness to meet and connect with people.
- Quality will always trump quantity
- Don’t forget to give back; Ask how you can contribute to the lives of those around you and your community. ** **
– [Snipboard](http://hipolabs.com/snipboard/) – A keyboard app for the iPhone that can be filled with customized snippets.
– [ZANO](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2Ftorquing%2Fzano-autonomous-intelligent-swarming-nano-drone) – A Kickstarter campaign for an autonomous, intelligent drone for “selfies”
– [Werewolf](http://www.playwerewolf.co/) – A party game designed for 7-20 people featuring various characters and roles.
– [Plan V](https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1838401618/plan-v-the-failsafe-charger-you-cant-leave-home-wi) – A Kickstarter campaign for a failsafe iPhone charger, possible the smallest portable iPhone charger ever.
– [Revert.io](https://revert.io/) – Backup for your cloud based applications.
– [eAngel.me](https://www.eangel.me) – A company that will improve and correct the grammar on your emails. All reviews are done by a human user, not a bot.
– [Bondic](http://notaglue.com/) – A plastic gel that can be used as a bonding agent…it requires UV light to set.
– [Carousel](https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carousel-by-dropbox/id825931374 — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message