Show Notes: Subscribe to the podcast on [iTunes](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fpodcast%2Fari-meisel-less-doing%2Fid605938952%3Fmt%3D2) Also Check out Ari’s book “[Less Doing, More Living](http://www.lessdoingbook.com/)” Leave Your Questions for the Podcast [HERE](https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action?dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.speakpipe.com%2FLessDoingPodcast) Get More Great Content and Full Show Notes with Transcript at [LessDoing.com](http://www.lessdoing.com/)
# Episode 96 **Summary:** In Episode #96, Ari speaks with Michael Gelb, “the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking” and author of the international best-seller _How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day_. As the podcast unfolds, Ari and Michael wade into the strategy of creative thinking, the vital importance of energy and the fallacy that creative genius cannot be cultivated.
**Sponsored By:** Followup.CC – A revolutionary new tool for improving productivity through automated email follow-up.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 20:48 – Introduction to Michael Gelb
– 21:18 – Michael explains what his goals are, particularly with regard to creativity
– 22:18 – The strategic importance of creativity
– 23:58 – Are some people born with creativity while others are not?
– 24:18 – School “de-geniuses” people
– 25:12 – Neuroplasticity is mentioned
– 25:28 – Neurogenesis is mentioned
– 25:51 – How does one develop their creative ability?
– 26:28 – Recognize creativity is a skill _everyone_ can develop
– 27:50 – The importance of energy as it relates to creativity
– 28:33 – Without the right energy, coercing creative development is impossible
– 29:16 – Is there a way to measure the baseline for creative energy?
– 30:46 – Ari inquires about the 20 minute practice for improving mental well-being and Michael delivers an in-depth response
– 35:40 – “_Writer’s block is just a matter of ignorance…it’s ignorance of the creative process_”
– 37:58 – Disruption of the “_brain groove_” is a great way to facilitate creativity…get out of habitual modality
– 39:24 – Why do people get in a groove? Why do people get stuck?
– 41:30 – What kind of habits can people put into place to facilitate creativity
– 42:20 – Michael explains how he stays energetically focused
– 44:04– The non-work stuff is what _makes work better_
– 44:44 – Work hard, play hard is an outdated notion…play sweetly and work joyfully every day
– 45:30 – Investing in yourself is the _best_ thing
– 47:43 – The Protestant-Puritan work ethic needs to evolve
– 48:50 – What are your top 3 personal tips to help people be more effective? – 49:05 – Mastering creative energy
– 49:09 – Mastering the creative mindset
– 49:12– Mastering the creative process
– 50:15 – MichaelGelb.com
**7 Key Points:**
1. Creativity is not simply a gift of birth, it lies within everyone
2. Creativity is impossible to harness without the appropriate level of energy
3. Writer’s Block (creative stagnation) is ignorance of the creative process
4. The non-work stuff makes work better, not the other way around
5. Self-Investment, particularly long-term self-investment is a _wonderful_ thing
6. The Protestant-Puritan work ethic is outdated and needs to evolve
7. To be more effective: – Master creative energy – Master the creative mindset – Master the creative process
– [Michael Gelb](http://michaelgelb.com/biography/) – The podcast’s guest and a leading thinker on the application of creative genius
– [How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day](http://michaelgelb.com/products/#think-like-da-vinci-book)
– Michael Gelb’s most well-known book – [Neuroplasticity](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity) – A term used to reference the ability of neural pathways to reinvent th — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message