In Episode #202 Ari shares the Less Doing Podcast with Mike Goldman of [Performance Breakthrough](http://www.performance-breakthrough.com/), a company that helps mid-sized businesses achieve dramatic growth through leadership development, and habit/culture optimization.
Listen as Ari and Mike discuss the importance of culture, core values, and the danger of over-emphasizing company strategy.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 13:01 – Introduction of Mike Goldman of [Performance Breakthrough](http://www.performance-breakthrough.com/)
– 13:18 – Mike describes his background
– 13:30 – First 17 years of career involved consulting for Fortune 500 companies
– 14:00 – How Mike got into [Gazelles](https://gazelles.com/)
– 15:32 – The impetus for creating the Performance Breakthrough book
– 17:17 – _Culture eats strategy for lunch_
– 17:43 – Finding, keeping, and leveraging A-players
– 18:02 – [Kongo Gumi](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong%C5%8D_Gumi)
– 19:14 – Creating a sustainable culture
– 19:52 – Define what you want your culture to look like—don’t let them evolve organically—define them early on
– 21:06 – Mike defines what some non-negotiable behaviors are
– 21:52 – The power of continuous leaning
– 23:18 – Are you committed to firing _anyone_ for violating your core values?
– 24:00 – Are you willing to take a financial hit in order to maintain your core values?
– 24:15 – Are you currently practicing your core values?
– 25:14 – Mike talks about leveraging _positives_
– 26:28 – When you focus on being a well-rounded individual, you’re focusing on improving your weaknesses which is highly inefficient
– 27:18 – You’re A-Players have the greatest room for growth
– 28:46 – [www.performance-breakthrough.com](http://www.performance-breakthrough.com/)
– 29:22 – 201-301-2841
**5 Key Points:**
1. Don’t just absentmindedly select the core values for your business—really sit down and iron them out.
2. Create an environment of continuous learning.
3. To generate success and growth, focus on positives, not negatives…strengths, not weaknesses.
4. When engineering your company culture, engineer it with sustainability in mind.
5. Always remember that your “A-Players” are the ones with the most room for improvement.
– [SmartRope](https://t.co/NXa2NRSx9z) –
An intelligent jump rope designed to help you optimize fitness – [Mummo](https://t.co/7cgJuYwAbb)
– Helps you help people who simply are NOT tech savvy with a simple text – [6 Secrets to be More Creative](https://t.co/RSgFFiTgI0)
– From Barking Up the Wrong Tree, an article with tips to improve creativity – [TripDelta](https://t.co/c1fvKxmdMk)
– Guarantees the cheapest trip possible, but not the most convenient – [Total Recall Sounds Great](https://t.co/5yqqyI2x7c)
– An article from I-Fing-Love-Science talking about the risks of having a memory that’s too good (aka you need to forget) – Call 1-844-i-do-less – Toll-Free number, Press “0” to speak with a Less Doing Certified Coach – Text DOLESS – Text DOLESS to 33733
[Leave Us a Review!](https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ari-meisel-less-doing/id605938952?mt=2&uo=6) Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
– Original Music provided by [Felix Bird](http://2014.felixbird.com/)
– Audio Production by [Chris Mottram](https://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-mottram/96/b12/708)
– Show Notes provided by [Mallard Creatives](http://www.mallardcreatives.com/Testimonials) ——- [Get the FREE Optimize, Automate, Outsource Blueprint here.](https://go.lessdoing.com/blueprint?utm_campaign=blueprint-ari&utm_medium=link&utm_source=podcast) — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message