**Summary:** In Episode #165 Ari hosts [Rory Vaden](http://www.roryvaden.com/), a refined public speaker and New York Times Best Selling Author of [Take the Stairs](http://amzn.to/1LAMueH) and [Procrastinate on Purpose](http://amzn.to/1GXgb6d) who works to help people live healthier, happier, more effective lives. During the interview, Rory breaks down the Procrastinate on Purpose methodology and explains why everything you know about time-management is wrong.
** ## Fuel the Fire Come watch Ari light-up the Drake Hotel in Chicago on Wednesday, August 5th as he delivers a rousing keynote speech for IPPA Business Excellence Conference: _Fuel the Fire_. This will be a great opportunity to watch Ari translate the lessons of Less Doing into terms business leaders can take to the bank.
##[Rockefeller Roundtable](http://helmsociety.com/ari-meisel-ceo-roundtable-nc/) Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid [Helm Society](http://helmsociety.com/) listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.
Subscribe to the Podcast or [Leave Us a Review!](https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ari-meisel-less-doing/id605938952?mt=2&uo=6) Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:
** – 17:40 – Introduction of [Rory Vaden](http://www.roryvaden.com/), New York Times Best-Selling Author of [Take the Stairs](http://amzn.to/1LAMueH) and [Procrastinate on Purpose](http://amzn.to/1GXgb6d)
– 18:09 – How Rory got into the “success” business
– 20:30 – Rory got to meet and be mentored by Zig Zigler
– 20:55 – Rory conducts 1-on-1 sales coaching—they have over 115 employees and 800 clients
– 22:10 – The approach Rory takes is, “what’s holding you back?”
– 22:30 – Improvement is less about a change in process and more about a change in thinking
– 23:20 – Everything you know about time management is _wrong_
– 24:36 – Efficiency has a point of diminishing returns
– 25:04 – Importance and efficiency _need _to be correlated—if they’re not, you’ll find yourself in a never-ending struggle to “catch-up”
– 26:35 – The POP methodology
– 27:00 – **_Significance_** changes everything
– 27:15 – Dissecting the modern-day to-do list
– 27:45 – You can’t solve today’s problems with yesterday’s tools and strategies
– 28:05 – _How can I use my time today to create more time tomorrow?_
– 29:50 – Online bill pay example
– 31:00 – Give yourself the _permission _to take the time
– 31:13 – ROTI—Return on Time Invested
– 33:04 – The Focus Funnel
– 33:58 – Time management today isn’t just logical, it’s emotional
– 37:20 – Some of Rory’s favorite sources of automation:
– 37:26 – Infusionsoft
– 40:00 – Automation is to your time what compounding interest is to your money
– 40:39 – We’re living in a day and age where automation has never been more readily available
– 41:05 – Think long term!—Don’t overweight the urgency, place greater emphasis on significance
– 42:40 – Rory’s _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective_:
– 42:55 – Give yourself permission to invest an hour with Rory
– 43:23 – Ask yourself the question: _Is what I am doing right now something that ONLY I CAN DO?_—ask this question all the time
– 44:03 – It doesn’t matter who you are, or how good/bad you’ve been—success is never owned, it’s rented, and the rent is due _every day_.
**7 Key Points:**
1. Identify the thing(s) that is holding you back.
2. Improvement isn’t about a change in process it’s about a change in thinking.
3. To solve today’s problems, you cannot use yesterday’s tools and strategies.
4. Use your time today to create more time tomorrow.
5. Do NOT disregard the return on time invested.
6. Efficiency has a point of diminishing returns.
7. Automation is to your time what compounding interest is to your money — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message