In Episode #213 Ari welcomes [Seth Godin](http://www.sethgodin.com/), a man who needs no introduction. (Find his blog by typing “Seth G” into Google.) Seth’s a bestselling author, speaker, thinker and doer.
Listen as he and Ari talk about becoming more productive, why bigger isn’t better, and how to move past your fear and start _doing the work_.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
– 14:30 – Welcoming Seth to the show
– 15:41 – “Where we live is a state of mind”
– 17:40 – Eliminate meetings
– 19:30 – “Meetings are a festival to avoid responsibility”
– 21:10 – Don’t be busy to be busy
– 21:50 – “It can be entirely appropriate to be a meaningful specific”
– 23:00 – “Just because it’s important to you, doesn’t mean it should be on my agenda”
– 23:20 – Seth writes every day
– 24:50 – Writing forces you to have a point of view. That makes you meaningful.
– 25:50 – “A freelancer gets paid when she works. An entrepreneur builds a business bigger than herself”
– 27:00 – Seth is currently a freelancer – “I do all the work I get paid for”
– 27:40 – “You can’t do both at once…decide what you’re good at”
– 31:10 – “It doesn’t scale – so what? Bigger doesn’t have to be better”
– 33:10 – Seth sees his job as noticing and engaging with patterns
– 34:30 – “I’m always writing with my head and sometimes I’m writing with my fingers”
– 35:20 – Productivity tips help. But 90% is merely _doing the work_.
– 37:40– _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:_
– Commit to ongoing education. Learn how to engage, connect, think and speak.
– Create a culture around you that reinforces the effectiveness you seek.
– Commit to strategy, not tactics. – [sethgodin.com](http://www.sethgodin.com)
1. Entrepreneurs create something bigger than themselves. Freelancers turn themselves into something big. You can’t be both at once.
2. _Do the work_. Write every day. Learn how to connect, engage, and make change happen. It’s as simple – simple, not easy – as that
3. Eliminate meetings. Communicate by email or one-on-one.
4. Look for truth, even when it’s difficult and frightening. Notice the world. Decide what kind of person you want to be.
Resources Mentioned: – [Enflux](https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850884998/enflux-smart-clothing-3d-workout-tracking-and-form?ref=producthunt)
– A suit that gives real-time feedback on your workout form – [Cola](http://cola.io/?ref=producthunt)
– A text app that lets you carry out tasks like surveys – in one message – [Video Slam](http://videoslamapp.com/?ref=producthunt)
– Make a movie from photos and videos in your camera roll – [Keezel](https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keezel-online-freedom-for-every-device-everywhere#/)
– Access American web content when you’re out of the country – [The Leader](http://theleader.io/)
– Feedback on satisfaction and leadership – [If You’re A Real Grownup Minivans Are Cool](http://jalopnik.com/if-youre-a-real-grown-up-minivans-are-cooler-than-cros-1764226230?utm_source=nextdraft)
– Article from Jalopnik – [Deep Gram](https://www.deepgram.com/) – Transforms transcription by letting you search audio files for keywords Sponsored By: [EarthClassMail](https://www.earthclassmail.com/)
– Earth Class Mail helps you move your snail mail to the cloud. Visit [www.LessDoing.com/postal](http://www.lessdoing.com/postal) to get signed up now! Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter Credits
– Original Music provided by [Felix Bird](http://2014.felixbird.com/)
– Audio Production by [Chris Mottram](https://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-mottram/96/b12/708)
– Show Notes provided by [Mallard Creatives](http://www.mallardcreatives.com/Testimonials) ——- [Get the FREE Optimize, Automate, Outsource Blueprint here.](https://go.lessdoing.com/blueprint?utm_campaign=blueprint-ari&utm_medium=link&utm_source=podcast) — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message