**Summary:** In Episode
#168 Ari speaks with Steve J. Martin, master of persuasion and Co-Author of [The small BIG](http://amzn.to/1TmvHhB). During this interview, Ari and Steve cover the science of persuasion, the importance of ethics and the paradox of neutrality.
##Fuel the Fire Come watch Ari light-up the Drake Hotel in Chicago on Wednesday, August 5th as he delivers a rousing keynote speech for IPPA Business Excellence Conference: _Fuel the Fire_. This will be a great opportunity to watch Ari translate the lessons of Less Doing into terms business leaders can take to the bank.
##[Rockefeller Roundtable](http://helmsociety.com/ari-meisel-ceo-roundtable-nc/) Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid [Helm Society](http://helmsociety.com/) listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.
##Subscribe to the Podcast or [Leave Us a Review!](https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ari-meisel-less-doing/id605938952?mt=2&uo=6) Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
**Time Stamped Show Notes:**
– 13:57 – Introduction of Steve J. Martin of
– 14:48 – How Steve got started in the art of persuasion
– 15:15 – Measuring the skill of sales teams
– 16:14 – Sometimes success is all about being in a good place at the right time
– 17:04 – There is no neutrality with influence and persuasion
– 17:38 – Be honest, be ethical
– 18:58 – Our response to being manipulated isn’t to the tactic used, it’s to the manipulator
– 21:43 – We want more of the things we can have less of
– 22:33 – Scarcity confers value
– 24:18 – Typically, following what others like us have done is an efficient way to make decisions
– 24:37 – Find shortcuts to make less decisions
– 26:40 – Beware of testimonials
– 28:12 – Knowing the principles of persuasion doesn’t empower you to avoid them
– 29:25 – Steve’s upcoming projects
– 31:04 – Small tweaks can lead to big effects
– 35:07 – What makes people _want _to give online businesses their contact information
– 35:23 – The give and take effect
– 37:19 – Steve’s _Top 3 Tips to be More Effective_
– 37:35 –Understand and learn the 3 keys of human motivation
– 38:48 – Do not dismiss the power of small things
– 39:45 – Be human
– 41:21 – [Science and persuasion](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdCzN7RYbw)
**7 Key Points:**
1. Find shortcuts to make fewer decisions.
2. Small changes can have massive impact.
3. Scarcity convers value.
4. We live in an information age—we do not live in a knowledge age.
5. Never lose sight of your humanity.
6. Luck plays a role in everything.
7. Be honest and ethical.
– Enables users to schedule their post to Instagram – [Retroospect](https://www.retroospect.com/)
– Walks users through their previous work week to determine the best days and times for productivity, etc. – [99u](http://99u.com/articles/42643/the-4-types-of-productivity-styles)
– The four types of productivity styles – [19 Go-To Foods for a Healthy Pantry](http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/06/what-are-the-best-healthy-pantry-foods/)
– From Ben Greenfield fitness, 19 foods to live a happier, healthier life – [Best Conditions for a Unicorn](http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/13/the-best-known-conditions-for-a-unicorn/?ncid=rss)
– From Tech Crunch, an article highlighting the best conditions to create a “unicorn” of a company – [Handwriting.IO](https://www.handwriting.io/?ref=producthunt)
– A programming API that provides digital handwriting – [Breathometer](https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/breathometer-mint-for-breath-quality-and-hydration#/story)
– An Indigogo campaign, a device designed to measure oral health – [Counsyl](https://www.counsyl.com/)
– A family-prep service to help people who want
— Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/lessdoing/message